Sunday, June 23, 2013

Running ahead of your demons

A good friend of mine took up cycling many years ago and pursued the sport with a kind of manic intensity, as I understand it.  Excessive riding seems to have led to a chronic, extremely painful groin injury, which in turn set off a long stretch of depression.  All pleasure drained from his life and he was unable to work. He became suicidal.

The darkness was punctuated with periods of mania, in which he spent money wildly and interviewed strangers on the street. Now diagnosed as bipolar, he is using medication and other pursuits to hold things together. His cycling days appear to be over. 

My sense is that cycling for him was a form of self-medication, and it worked for a long while. As long as you’re moving, the demons can’t quite catch up with you.

Are there those who use running to keep a step ahead of depression and other mental disorders?

A member of the Runner’s World Masters forum uses a signature on his posts, “Cheaper than therapy.”   Another forum member commented recently on one of my posts that the peace to be found in running “is better than meditation.”

Without running, I’m pretty sure some of own demons would have overtaken me by now. The trick, I suppose, is to balance the physical with the mental or spiritual part of the form. If you try to run too hard, for too long, you can get caught from the other direction, as I believe my friend did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment