Saturday, December 8, 2012

Going out cold

My gloveless hands were freezing, and I could feel the chill through two light layers on top. The baseball cap left my ears exposed. But, the sun was rising higher in the sky on a clear morning. The neighbor's flag was hanging limp.

Of course, the running literature has plenty of advice on how to dress for the weather. You learn to tolerate a cold start--not to overdress and regret it later. But, today was probably the coldest morning of the year. Would I warm up so quickly this winter?

Runners, like sailors and farmers, need to be pretty finely tuned to the weather. You keep an eye on the sky, feel the changes in the wind, and note the subtle changes in footing created by the conditions.

After about a mile, my hands felt full of blood, and the sun warmed me to just the right temperature. It's just that first ten minutes.

On down the road, started thinking about what a warm winter it's been. No snow or ice yet. The golf course I ran through was plastered with fresh goose droppings. The squirrels seem particularly plentiful this year.

In the agricultural space, I wrote recently about weather proverbs (Look around you for a weather forecast).

This morning's run offered up an idea for a little proverb of my own.

If mild in December
Squirrels and geese galore
A winter to remember
Running a whole lot more

No comments:

Post a Comment