Sunday, February 17, 2013

A walk in the park


Last Monday, between arrival in New York City and the first business meeting of the week lay a chance to run in Central Park, something that had always seemed appealing as a great destination run. Maybe I pictured myself as a New York Road Runner’s Club kind of guy—fit, busy, urbane.

My colleague Curt (photo, left) was pleased to be able to squeeze in a quick training session with me for his upcoming Iron Man Triathlon. And wow that’s another story….

So we took a cab from midtown Manhattan to save time and my energy.  The idea was for a brisk five or six miles in the park, then a quick return to business.

It was all going to plan. Except that I had to walk--twice.

I’d rather have not had to do that in front of Curt and the Columbia University women’s cross-country team. 

But, I’m trying to give myself a pardon. The excuses quickly collected:

Central Park is hilly, which I didn’t realize; it was cold and raining; I’m feeling chilled; and I’m still recovering from a diabolical virus.  Haven’t I arrived at a point in my life where I don’t have to prove anything to Curt and  Columbia?  Give that virus another chance and you’ll spend a week here in New York feeling like the devil again.

Sure, I could have pushed through those relatively thin walls of fatigue on the hills and kept my Central Park memory free of an asterisk. 

But isn’t there finally a bit of wisdom in taking a break when you want?  Shouldn't life ultimately allow a walk in the park?

2 comments:

  1. Here is a map showing the run and associated data -
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/272918646

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think that on the backside of a diabolical virus and the rigorous Iron Man trek you end up at the RVR at 1:26 AM ;)

      Delete