Sunday, February 3, 2013

A big zero on a business trip


How hard is it to keep running when you’re traveling on business? 

For me, I guess,  it can be like facing the wrong way entrance of a one-way street. In this week’s experience, it dawned on me how cities, convention locations in particular, can be an especially alien environment for running.

So I just went four days without stretching my legs. Zero miles, not a minute. 

There are plenty of excuses and here they are:

The location. Downtown big city. Hilly, heavy traffic in places, surrounded by interstate highways and some sketchy neighborhoods.  And how does one manage all the stoplights?

The meetings. Sometimes early morning, sometimes after hours.  Sometimes at the drop of a hat in the hallway.

The bar. Yes, the hotel had a fitness room, but it was about the size of a rather generous prison cell.  And it was situated about fifty feet from the hotel bar. I did try out the bar.

The food. Trade show food, in particular. There’s something about giving in to a lukewarm hot dog that takes the fight out of you. 

The weather. First there was freezing rain, turning to snow with high winds. Return to fitness room next to bar, if you can.

Sitting. You can do a lot of walking at a convention and trade show, but if you attend meetings and write reports, you’re likely spending a lot of time sitting on your duff. 

Night life. Well, only one night out in this case. But like a trade show hot dog, a couple late-night toddies and a fine, rich meal can sap your will the next day.  (Is this where I admit that I know what it’s like to run with a hangover?)

Lots of excuses, as you can see.  The forces of entropy are easy to summon.

So do you just give in, lower your expectations, maybe just run the hotel stairs a couple times? Jog around the convention center in your street shoes?

Next trip, though, I’ll pack my running togs again, and hope to kick those big city meeting blues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment